Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Coon Gets our Baby Chickens!

Today I went out to the chicken coop to feed them the hulls I cut from my strawberries. As I walked up to the fence I saw 4 of my "meat birds" laying dead...and covered in flies...i panned their area and also saw one of our small buffs, one of my favorites the polish crested, and a silver lace wyndot...all dead...I hate that sooo much...I called Zach at work and when he came home he did some investigating a narrowed it down to coon(s). I figure there must have been more than one since everyone one of our babies from this spring was missing! Zach said that coons usually just eat the head off the bird and leave the rest and that was the case for the birds left in the yard... but I cannot account for the other 18 birds! We figure that once the coon killed them owls probably swooped in and carried off what they could! I know this is kind of sick...but I guess it is a fact of "farming"...It's times like this that I don't love the whole "country girl" thing! All of our larger birds appear to be o.k. although they pretty much stayed inside the coop today...they must be somewhat scared over what happened last night...I imagine it was pretty gruesome!

Those Polish Crested birds where so cool looking...I need to look through my camera to see if I have a picture of them! I picked these two birds out...they were black and on the top of their heads they had a little fro of hair...like a little puff ball! What a shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment