Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yum! Strawberry Jam

Just finished my first batch of strawberry jam! It puts me in the best mood! I love the fact that preserving season has officially started for me. I decided to make my first batch "Sugar Free!" To some people I know that probably doesn't sound good...but I love the taste of fresh strawberries and don't believe they need all of that extra sugar. and i don't mind sugar free jam...i figure it's better for you - especially for my grandpa who is diabetic. i still have a bunch of berries washed and ready to go...i will probably bake a pie or custard and then move on to the real full of sugar jam!

making jam is really pretty easy & so rewarding!
I used
crystal cut 8 oz ball jars.
1 packet of sugar free pectin (the powdered kind in a box)
1 cup of 100% grape juice (with no sugar added.)

I washed and hulled my berries (approx. 2 quarts)
I then placed the first quart in a pot and smashed them with my potato masher
then added the next quart and mashed them as well.
then added 1 cup of grape juice
then add the pectin
stir cont. until the mixture comes to a full boil.
once mix reaches a full boil cook 1 minute more while cont. stirring.
then turn off heat, remove foam from top of mix and fill aprox. 6 clean & hot jelly jars.

i filled all jars according to preserving guidelines leaving a 1/4 inch head space.
then removed any air bubbles
placed lids & rings on and processed in a water bath canner for 10 minutes!

So simple! - and now i have six jars of jam perfect for gifts or for my family & i to eat!!

What do you think it would have cost me at the grocery store to buy six - 8 ounce jars of SUGAR FREE STRAWBERRY JAM? not to mention it's organic too! No chemicals where used on these berries~

2 comments:

  1. Save one for me!!! I can't wait to try Jen's Jam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen I love reading your blog! It was so good to talk to you last night!
    xoxox
    Molly

    ReplyDelete