Monday, May 10, 2010

first batch of strawberries!

On Mother's Day morning the boys and I went and picked strawberries. We have picked strawberries the last five years. I usually freeze some of the berries whole as well as can yummy strawberry jam. This year Ty & Ike & I took our Easter baskets down to John's house...he had tons of berries...I had my entire basket full (mine is the biggest) Ty's was half full (his was the middle sized) and I look over and Ike's basket is completely empty - but his little face was red & juicy! He ate all the berries instead of putting them in his basket! We came home and have eaten quite a few...the rest will make our first batch of jam! There is nothing like homemade jam. This year I have decided to make Sugar Free Jam! Mainly because I love strawberries so much that I don't need sugar...so I think the flavor of the Jam would be just as good without all that added sugar!! I also need to make my cousin Eddy a fresh Strawberry Pie...he's been asking me for once since Thanksgiving...I wonder if I could mail it to him? So looks like tomorrow will be the first day to start preserving and storing...stocking the pantry! I will upload some pictures of our strawberry picking and my garden ASAP...I've got to get a new battery for my camera since mine has seem to go missing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment